We are seeking application developers to build the next generation of Open Science tools. At Development Seed we are supporting partners at organizations like NASA to further their goals around Open Science: making it more transparent, inclusive, accessible, and reproducible. This requires state-of-the-art tooling for scientists to produce and publish algorithm documentation and metadata for their data products. We are actively building a number of tools that allow science teams to collaborate more effectively on documentation for their data products, and ultimately make it easier for the broader public to use them.
Development Seed is a unique and rewarding place to do this work. Over the past two decades, we have honed our approach of stewarding projects from opportunity to successful, impactful products. Our partners are working on interesting and important problems. Our technical teams are built of curious, empathetic people with high intrinsic motivation and a growth mindset. We open source a lot our work, invest heavily in R&D that drives the field and regularly reinvent the nature of our work.
As a developer, you will
- Build scalable database driven web-applications with engaging user interfaces, that make the science of our partners more accessible to a broader audience
- Solve real problems for organizations addressing global challenges
- Have the ability to contribute to Open Science and Open Source tooling
- Work with earth science and cloud infrastructure communities to develop best practices and tools
- Learn and grow with a team that is committed to your success
- Work with stakeholders to understand the needs of end users
You have an established background in building collaborative applications and are comfortable working across the stack. You:
- Have experience building applications with intricate workflows and permissions models
- Are able to work in a globally distributed team and have outstanding communication skills
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills and capacity to synthesize.
- Show care and dedication to building applications with exceptional user experience
We are looking for candidates with a strong backend experience who are comfortable working closely with the frontend team, with:
- 2+ years professional experience related to cloud-driven software development
- Proficiency in one or more general purpose programming language, such as Node.js or Python
- Experience deploying and integrating cloud infrastructure resources (AWS, GCP, etc).
- Experience with relational or non-relational databases (Postgres, MySQL, DynamoDB, etc)
- Understanding of REST APIs design and best practices
- Experience with Git, Github and project management tools
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to solve new challenges
- Experience designing and/or building user interfaces with React is a huge plus
- Experience with containerization tools (Docker, etc) is a plus
- Experience building collaborative applications for Open Science or contributions to Open Source software is a plus.
As a Development Seed team member, you
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger than any individual developer. You write clear Github tickets and communicate effectively on Slack and in-person.
- Learn — We constantly evolve our technology stack and techniques to deliver the best work to our partners. You don’t need to know any particular language or framework upfront but you need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways to build.
- Code — You write code focusing on both performance and maintainability. You write detailed documentation before and after writing code.
- Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Take DevSeed to the next level of global impact.